[refpolicy] what is a suitable type for /dev/media0

Christopher J. PeBenito cpebenito at tresys.com
Tue Sep 27 07:55:10 CDT 2011

On 09/26/11 06:10, Dominick Grift wrote:

> /dev/media0 character device node is currently labeled type device_t:
>
>> # matchpathcon /dev/media0
>> /dev/media0	system_u:object_r:device_t:s0
>
> What would be a suitable type for this device? v4l_device_t?
>
>> Media Device
>> A Media device is the umbrella device under which multiple
>> sub-entities called Media entities can be accessed, modified and
>> worked upon. The Media Device is exposed to the user in form of a
>> device file, which can be opened to enumerate, set and get the
>> parameters of each of the media entities. For example, in DM365
>> implementation the entire VPFE capture device with its IPIPE, IPIPEIF,
>> CCDC etc is exposed as a Media Device - /dev/media0. If there were a
>> display driver, it would be exposed as a Media device too.

It seems like that would be a reasonable label, but the description you provided isn't so helpful.  Do you know what kernel module handles support for this device?  Is it something under drivers/media?  Alternatively, do you have examples of devices that are accessed through this node?  From what I can google, it seems to support v4l_device_t, but I'd like a little more assurance.